Owensboro Fire Department Receives Life Safety Achievement Award
Wednesday September 13, 2017 8:49 AM
September 13, 2017
For information, contact Owensboro Fire Department Fire Chief, Steve Mitchell at (270) 687-8405.
OWENSBORO FIRE DEPARTMENT RECEIVES LIFE SAFETY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Yesterday, Owensboro Mayor Tom Watson announced that the Owensboro Fire Department was presented with a Life Safety Achievement Award for its fire protection, fire prevention, and fire safety education accomplishments in 2016 by the National Association of State Fire Marshals Fire Research and Education Foundation in partnership with Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company. Butch Browning, President of the NASFM Foundation announced the awards in late August.
The Owensboro Fire Department was one (1) of only 160 Fire Departments in the United States to be presented with this recognition. OFD was recognized for efforts in 2016 in Community Based Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Education Programs that included various partnerships throughout the community. Among other programs, the NASFM specifically mentioned the ability of OFD to champion efforts such as the installation and use of residential smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, fire safety public education, and research driven target hazard fire prevention and fire safety education programs. These efforts resulted in zero fire deaths within the City of Owensboro and a reduction of direct and indirect fire damage.
“Our Risk Reduction efforts at OFD is an all hands on deck program with participation of the entire Department.” Owensboro Fire Chief Mitchell explained. “However, we could not be successful without our community partners and the community as a whole taking fire safety seriously.”
Other Recent News
- Edge Ice Center - September 29 Special Skating Session
- Edge Ice Center offering Learn-to-Skate Classes
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement Board Meeting on September 20, 2017 at 1:00 p.m.
- West 4th Street Lane Closure
- Owensboro Fire Department Receives Life Safety Achievement Award
- Street Closure
- 2017 Fall Junior Tae Kwon Do Classes
- 2017 Fall Break, Holiday Break and Snow Day Camps' Registration
- Edge Ice Center - Birthday Party Packages
- Dugan Best Recreation Center - Rental Areas