Public Art Unveiling Friday, June 5
Thursday June 4, 2015 8:24 AM
June 4, 2015
For information, contact Public Information / Community Representative Abby Shelton at 270-687-8557 or email@example.com.
PUBLIC ART UNVEILING FRIDAY, JUNE 5
The Owensboro Board of Commissioners invites the public to a public art unveiling ceremony tomorrow, June 5, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. at the entrance of the RiverPark Center (101 Daviess Street, Owensboro). “Celebration," is a life-size bronze depicting a young girl expressing the movement of dance. The bronze is by Gary Alsum, Loveland, Colo., and is sponsored by Dr. and Mrs. Wathen Medley, Jr. and Dr. and Mrs. Bill Jansing.
Alsum is a nationally-known sculptor, recognized for his monumental full-scale works. He is represented in municipal collections throughout the Midwestern states and is a member of the National Sculpture Society.
The public artwork is the fifth installation of art through the Riverartes program: The Art of Placemaking. The project is designed to celebrate the vitality of Owensboro and enhance its reputation as a cultural tourism destination, is being organized for the City of Owensboro by the Owensboro Museum of Fine Art and a citizens group, the Downtown Public Art Committee.
Future installations will include "Vertigo," a 12-foot stainless steel sculpture scheduled for installation at the southeast corner of the Owensboro Convention Center. It is being purchased by Big River Rubber and Gasket Company, Inc., and it will be placed on loan to the City for a two-year period. The abstract work is by Miami, Florida artist Mark Chew. Two limestone carvings by Kentucky sculptors Don Lawler and Meg White are scheduled for installation in the riverfront area in July and were purchased for the City by the Marilyn and William Young Charitable Foundation.
For more information, visit www.owensboro.org.
Other Recent News
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement Board Meeting on Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 1:00 p.m.
- 'Faces of Our Heroes' Veterans Tribute Returning Memorial Day Weekend
- Street Closures
- City Commission Meeting March 20, 2018
- Audubon Bon Harbor Alliance Meeting Rescheduled
- CHANGE: City Commission Special Called Meeting - March 13, 2018
- Street Closure
- Champion Joey Chestnut Returning to International Bar-B-Q Festival for World Mutton Sandwich Eating Competition
- Press Release - Altaf & Beth Merchant and the Centre Court Team Lands Huge Pickleball Tournament
- 4th Annual Spring Monday Night Business League @ Ben Hawes Par 3