Owensboro Metropolitan Area only Area in the United States with an Unemployment Rate Decline
Wednesday July 29, 2020 4:40 PM
July 29, 2020
For information, contact City Clerk Beth Cecil at (270) 687-8552 or firstname.lastname@example.org
OWENSBORO METROPOLITAN AREA
ONLY AREA IN THE
UNITED STATES WITH
AN UNEMPLOYMENT RATE DECLINE
Today, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Metropolitan Area Employment and Unemployment report for June 2020, identified Owensboro as the only metropolitan area in the United States with an unemployment rate decline relative to June 2019. Per BLS calculations, the employment rate in the Owensboro metro area was 4.2% in June of 2020, compared to 4.4% in June of 2019. Metropolitan Statistical Areas are designated as having at least one urbanized area with a minimum population of 50,000.
The report states, “Unemployment rates were higher in June than a year earlier in 388 of the 389 metropolitan areas and lower in 1 area”. The full report can be accessed at https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/metro.pdf.
Mayor Watson stated, “While being fiscally conservative and helping those in need, great things are happening in OBKY”. “The Federal BLS identifying Owensboro as the only metropolitan area in the country with a lower unemployment rate in June 2020 than June 2019 is a meaningful acknowledgement and objective confirmation of the progress we continue to make. It is a testament to the wonderful employers and productive workforce in the community and is evidence of the strength and resilience of our diversified local economy,” City Manager Nate Pagan added.
For more information about the City of Owensboro, visit us on the web at www.owensboro.org.
Other Recent News
- Special Events Committee Meeting Cancelled
- Historic Preservation Board Special Called Meeting
- City Commission Special Called Meeting August 4, 2020
- Neighborhood Alliance Chairpersons Meeting Cancelled August 3, 2020
- Owensboro Metropolitan Area only Area in the United States with an Unemployment Rate Decline
- Lane Closure - McFarland Avenue
- 2020 Fall Adult Leagues at Kentucky Legend Fields at Jack C. Fisher Park
- Street Closure - Veterans Boulevard
- Street Closure - Hickman Avenue
- City Commission Special Called Meetings - July 21, 2020