Owensboro Fire Department Receives Life Safety Achievement Award
Wednesday September 13, 2017 8:49 AM
September 13, 2017
For information, contact Owensboro Fire Department Fire Chief, Steve Mitchell at (270) 687-8405.
OWENSBORO FIRE DEPARTMENT RECEIVES LIFE SAFETY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Yesterday, Owensboro Mayor Tom Watson announced that the Owensboro Fire Department was presented with a Life Safety Achievement Award for its fire protection, fire prevention, and fire safety education accomplishments in 2016 by the National Association of State Fire Marshals Fire Research and Education Foundation in partnership with Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company. Butch Browning, President of the NASFM Foundation announced the awards in late August.
The Owensboro Fire Department was one (1) of only 160 Fire Departments in the United States to be presented with this recognition. OFD was recognized for efforts in 2016 in Community Based Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Education Programs that included various partnerships throughout the community. Among other programs, the NASFM specifically mentioned the ability of OFD to champion efforts such as the installation and use of residential smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, fire safety public education, and research driven target hazard fire prevention and fire safety education programs. These efforts resulted in zero fire deaths within the City of Owensboro and a reduction of direct and indirect fire damage.
“Our Risk Reduction efforts at OFD is an all hands on deck program with participation of the entire Department.” Owensboro Fire Chief Mitchell explained. “However, we could not be successful without our community partners and the community as a whole taking fire safety seriously.”
Other Recent News
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement Board Meeting on Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 1:00 p.m.
- Audubon Bon Harbor Alliance Meeting Rescheduled
- CHANGE: City Commission Special Called Meeting - March 13, 2018
- Street Closure
- Champion Joey Chestnut Returning to International Bar-B-Q Festival for World Mutton Sandwich Eating Competition
- Press Release - Altaf & Beth Merchant and the Centre Court Team Lands Huge Pickleball Tournament
- 4th Annual Spring Monday Night Business League @ Ben Hawes Par 3
- Owensboro Jr. Golf Foundation - Ben Hawes Golf Course
- 15th Annual Monday Night Business League @ Hillcrest Golf Course
- Street Closure