MAYOR ANNOUNCES PLAN TO TABLE TAX INCREASES FOR YEAR
Thursday March 5, 2015 9:40 AM
March 5, 2015
For information, contact Public Information / Community Representative Abby Shelton at 270-687-8557 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAYOR PAYNE ANNOUNCES PLAN TO TABLE TAX INCREASES FOR YEAR
‘Today, I am announcing that I will ask the Owensboro Board of Commissioners to table the ordinance to increase the occupational and net profit taxes that has been proposed as a way to offset the elimination of the Owensboro Municipal Utilities dividend for one year. I do not feel we can proceed with this recommendation without the understanding from the public as to what we are proposing and the support of the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce.
While I am still convinced that we need to eliminate the dividend and reduce electric rates as much as possible, the decision as to how city government is funded is one that needs to be made by the taxpayers. The additional time will allow us to better educate the public about these options. In addition, I will ask the Commission to approve the original ordinance increasing electric rates next year to provide Owensboro Municipal Utilities the necessary revenue to operate. If the decision next year is to eliminate the dividend, these rate increases can be revisited. I will recommend the first reading of this ordinance at our work session next Tuesday, March 10, 2015. The second reading will take place at the City Commission meeting on Tuesday, March 17, 2015.’
For more information about the City of Owensboro, visit us on the web at www.owensboro.org.
Other Recent News
- Owensboro Parks - Indoor Rental Areas
- Street Closure
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement Board Meeting July 18, 2018
- Owensboro Sister Cities and Regions Board Meeting
- City Commission Meeting July 17, 2018
- Veterans Boulevard will be closed July 16 for Maintenance
- Owensboro Historic Preservation Board Special Called Meeting
- UPCOMING CLOSURE
- Parking Committee Meeting - July 19, 2018
- Due to Water Main Break Multiple Owensboro Parks & Recreation Department Faclities will be Closed Today