MAYOR ANNOUNCES PLAN TO TABLE TAX INCREASES FOR YEAR
Thursday March 5, 2015 9:40 AM
March 5, 2015
For information, contact Public Information / Community Representative Abby Shelton at 270-687-8557 or email@example.com.
MAYOR PAYNE ANNOUNCES PLAN TO TABLE TAX INCREASES FOR YEAR
‘Today, I am announcing that I will ask the Owensboro Board of Commissioners to table the ordinance to increase the occupational and net profit taxes that has been proposed as a way to offset the elimination of the Owensboro Municipal Utilities dividend for one year. I do not feel we can proceed with this recommendation without the understanding from the public as to what we are proposing and the support of the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce.
While I am still convinced that we need to eliminate the dividend and reduce electric rates as much as possible, the decision as to how city government is funded is one that needs to be made by the taxpayers. The additional time will allow us to better educate the public about these options. In addition, I will ask the Commission to approve the original ordinance increasing electric rates next year to provide Owensboro Municipal Utilities the necessary revenue to operate. If the decision next year is to eliminate the dividend, these rate increases can be revisited. I will recommend the first reading of this ordinance at our work session next Tuesday, March 10, 2015. The second reading will take place at the City Commission meeting on Tuesday, March 17, 2015.’
For more information about the City of Owensboro, visit us on the web at www.owensboro.org.
Other Recent News
- Street Closure - East Parrish Avenue (Reminder)
- Street Closure - Chesterfield Drive
- Owensboro Property Tax Bills
- Trail of Treats Back for 29th Year
- Parking Committee Meeting - October 18, 2018
- Special Called Owensboro Sister Cities and Regions Board Meeting
- Owensboro City Commission Candidate Forum
- Street Closure - Morningside Drive
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement Board Meeting
- Fire Protection Insurance Rating